Wednesday, July 29, 2009

more on the gardens....

So, to make my garden beds, I took a 4 x 10' frame, 10" tall, and layered newspapers or cardboard down underneath, to keep the weeds from coming up. I then put soil (and sometimes manure) in, and basically planted.


Things I learned: #1- put a WAY thicker layer of newspapers and cardboard down. What I did helped, but the really tenacious weeds came through anyway.

#2- when putting landscape fabric down between the beds, make sure you have mulch or something to cover it up instantly, or the fabric gets shot to hell, and the weeds and grass take over everything.

#3- always put a nice, thick, juicy layer of manure under the soil. The more organic material, the better!


I worked really, really hard this spring at putting landscape fabric down between all the beds. My plan is to get bark mulch in for the pathways, and it will make it look pretty, too. Now, I will have to do it all over again. I am posting some pics of my garden today. We are in a drought period, and it is bloody hot. 36 c today. (for you yankees out there, that's 108 F). This is NOT NORMAL for the Island. The weatherman is predicting this extreme heat from here until forever. Maybe it just feels that way. I can't believe I am saying this, but what I wouldn't do for a huge rainfall right now! So, hopefully this helps to explain why my gardens look so sad and dry. And the grass is taking over all over the place. I need a cow to come mow it all down!


No comments:

Flooded Driveway

Flooded Driveway
Too much RAIN!