Monday, July 27, 2009

Update

So, I have been on my farm for about 10 months now. Ten of the scariest months of my life. Shortly after plunging in and buying the place, I lost my job. EEEK! Now what? Well, mostly I starved all winter. I wasn't able to find a job that would pay me enough to keep my little farm. So, I decided to start making a living from the farm. I opened my own business, doing dog boarding and doggy day care. Dogs (of which I have 3) are my first love. So, what better than spending my days playing with lots of them? I have also started 25 4x10' raised garden beds, and have plans to put in at least 25 more, with the idea that I can grow extra veggies and sell them at the local farmers' markets. Two days after moving in, I got my first 18 Dorking heritage-breed chickens. These are a dual purpose chicken, and very rare. It is estimated that there are only 100 or so of these birds in all of Canada. More on these later! I have been selling their eggs, and plan on raising more to sell the roasters, as well. Since I was successful in keeping those alive all winter, I have also decided to raise some heritage turkeys. I will be getting 10 poults in, and will keep 2 for my own freezer, and have already pre-sold all the rest. Maybe I should have done more??? Well, I am busy enough for the moment in my first year here!

1 comment:

Shari Tombs said...

That would be scary - glad you came through it though. As the saying goes"what doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Looking forward to more posts :)

Flooded Driveway

Flooded Driveway
Too much RAIN!