Saturday, December 12, 2009

Chickens in the Freezer

I had a harrowing night the other night catching the damn chickens so I could take them to the processing place. Everyone tells me that chickens 'sleep like the dead'. Not mine! Somehow, my chickens are the only ones in the world that stay awake and alert ALL night long!
I tried going out at 10 pm to get them put into the dog crate for transport. I grabbed one, and he squealed so loud it scared the crap out of me and I dropped him and ran. I am SUCH a baby;-) Then, I set my alarm for 1 a.m., and tried again. Luckily, I have a houseguest staying with me, so I got him up to come out and help. The chickens were a bit less anxious, but still squealed and screamed and flapped about. I decided I was absolutely not getting up to try again, it was now or never. My friend held the crate door closed, then opened it quick when I shoved a chicken in there, then closed it again quick so they wouldn't escape while I caught the next one. It took me about 15 minutes to catch 11 roosters. Got up super early the next morning, took them to the plant, and by the end of the day, I had a bunch of yummy roasters in my freezer. At the time, I wondered if it was worth all the effort, but once you taste a home grown chicken, you realize it was soooo worth it! I've roasted one already, then I am going to make some soup stock with a couple more. These chickens will feed me for quite some time!
I do wonder if I should raise a different breed, though... ones that maybe are a little easier to catch??!!

I had also tried to catch one of the turkeys to take in. There is one that isn't looking all that great, and I was going to put him in the freezer, too. No such luck. Turkeys are SCARY. Not sure how I am going to get them all packed when the time comes... EEEEEK!!!

Other than that, I haven't done much around the farm lately, as it has been so freakin' cold, the ground has been frozen, and I haven't been able to do much. It is supposed to warm up later this week, so I hopefully will be able to start working on my projects again.

No comments:

Flooded Driveway

Flooded Driveway
Too much RAIN!