Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Trials of being a Farmer....

I've had a hard, hard week on the farm. For whatever reason, my meat birds, which had been doing just fine, suddenly got cold. Within an hour, I had 16 dead.... that's quite a loss. It was depressing. I still have enough to fill all my orders, but I can't afford to lose anymore at this point. Then, one of my laying hens died for no reason. That seems to happen regularly. I have no idea why. I think they just lay eggs that are too big, and it stresses them out so much, and they bleed out. It's so sad. THEN, to top it off, a Dorking flew the coop, and of course Reckless saw it immediately, and killed it. GRRRRRRR.
I am still battling slugs, and hoping everything grows fast enough to fill my first CSA orders. I replanted all the lettuce, and am planning on getting more arugula seeds so I can replant those, too, soon.
I guess I have to expect losses on occasion, but it's hard to swallow when it does happen!

No comments:

Flooded Driveway

Flooded Driveway
Too much RAIN!