Thursday, September 24, 2009

New project

Well, I forgot to list a couple of projects for me to work on this coming year. One, I need to dig out a root cellar. It sucks having all these groceries, and no where to store them! My other project is to build another 25 or so garden beds. That will bring my total to 50. It should give me enough for my own groceries, plus more to sell at the farmers' markets, and out my driveway. I have been putting a few tomatoes, cuc's, etc, in a cooler out at the end of my driveway the last little bit. I make a dollar here, and two dollars there. Enough to be encouraging for next year when I have eggs and groceries to sell. Easy enough way to make a bit of pocket change for myself.
I started digging out the root cellar last week. I know this won't be a quick job... I am just doing a bit at a time, so I preserve my back. I am doing it the old fashioned way, with a shovel. I can't afford a back hoe to come in, and I can't wait another year for a root cellar. Oh, well... there is definitely a certain satisfaction in being able to say "I did that all myself". I took a few ground-breaking pics, which I will post as well. The cellar will be 8 x 10' big. I don't know how deep it will end up being yet. I am just going to dig as deep as I can, and then build the walls up with straw or hay bales, and cob the outside. The roof will be post beams, with a tarp on top, then covered with hay bales OR sod. I haven't decided which yet. I have placed the cellar about 60 or 80' from the house, under some trees. I am hoping this will help to keep it cooler in the summer, and more temperate in the winter. This whole project is a complete experiment... cross your fingers it works out!!
I also had a big honkin' cheque from a client a couple of weeks ago, which has allowed me to purchase a load of garden soil. I have been working on topping off the beds I had to skimp on last year, as well as making my next blueberry bed. I still have some bberries that need to be planted, that I haven't been able to for lack of somewhere to put them! The ground is now ready, I am just waiting a couple of days until there is rain in the forcast before I plant them. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous lately, but not right for planting. I don't want to have to do too much watering, if I can avoid it!
I also bought a bit of fall rye today, to put into some of the fallow gardens for the winter. I sowed some of it today, but haven't watered it in yet. I will probably do that tomorrow. I feel really good about how much I've got done around here lately. I only have time because business is a bit slower now. I guess you just can't have it all!

No comments:

Flooded Driveway

Flooded Driveway
Too much RAIN!