Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Greenhouse... Warm!

Exciting news! Last night was the first time we had a sharp frost since my greenhouse went up. I have put a big pile of compost in there for heat, and it must be working. When I got up this morning, it was -3 outside. Inside the house it was just above freezing... which is exactly what I needed!

I've been putting EM on the compost, and the ammonia problem is just about gone now. (thank goodness..the fumes almost killed me). All I need now is to find a used waterbed mattress to use to heat my seeds. This is the most cost effective way I can figure for a seed heating pad. I've got ads all over... SOMEONE has to have an old waterbed clogging up their basement or attic somewhere!! I did find some folding tables for cheap, so those are put in now. Guess I should go take some more pics soon! I am trying to put piles of compost under the tables to see if I can heat the tables that way, but I don't think it has enough umph to do the job. Regardless, I am going to go get some potting mix today, and start as many seeds as I can... spring is on its way!!

2 comments:

Kimm and the Kimmlets said...

What is EM? Love your greenhouse.

Kelly said...

EM is 'Effective Micro organisms' The ulitmate in organic gardening! Helps to make your plants stronger, take up more nutrients, and also used in compost to aid in the decompostion process.

Flooded Driveway

Flooded Driveway
Too much RAIN!